The Taxi Ride

Posted by

I hurriedly prepared myself for work since I’ll be late if I don’t double up my pace once again for the nth time. This is my usual routine since I started living here in Urban Cebu, plus the fact that in almost 2 years of my stay here, I’ve only got myself to do all the chores and errands. That is already a hard task to do to those people who are still dependent with their parents and Yaya’s.
It was already 12:15 noon when I took a glance at my watch. My shift starts at 1:00 PM and I should take a cab instead of riding the Jeepney or else I’ll be in trouble. I am not used in taking a cab since it will be much practical riding in a Jeepney especially if you are a budget wise person. So there I am, waited for the cab to pass by outside the village under the scorching summer sun.

Once inside the cab, the driver asked me where I am going. I was a bit shocked after hearing his question, the tone! I happily told myself. I know that he is also from Iloilo from the way he expressed himself in Bisayan dialect. Anyone could distinguish a true blooded Cebuano from an Ilonngo thru his tone. I don’t know why but it makes me happy meeting somebody that is also came from my hometown Iloilo. Lets us say that after 2 years of staying here in Cebu, I already missed talking in my own dialect too. So I asked him if he’s an Ilonngo too, then he confidently answered me yes. He is also seemed to be happy knowing that he found another Ilonngo living here in Cebu. During the course of the travel, we enjoyably exchange ideas and questions, which somehow I’ve learned a lot out of them.

In the middle of the traffic, just to break the silence between us, he asked me a question. I am not the type of person who will first bring up an interesting topic for the conversation, so I was so silent for the whole time I was inside his cab.

“Why are you here in Cebu? You can still work in Iloilo without sacrificing the distance between you and your family?” He asked.

I should be asking him the same question, but given that he brought it up first, I am the one who will answer it. That question is much appropriate for him since he can also be a driver in Iloilo compared to me that I need to find a good paying company.

“I can’t find a good paying job there in Iloilo. I need to find a job that will not also let me survive but also to carry the expenses of my family; you know I am the bread winner of the family since my father died last 1998”. I sadly replied him hiding the fact that I totally missed my family. “About you? Why you are here?” I then asked him after looking again at my watch.

“My heart is in here. Although I grew up in Iloilo, it is much nicer here to stay. But my sons are there in Iloilo. I am living alone as a driver just to provide my sons a good education back home. But it is not easy to live alone; I bet you already know that”. He told me.

“But where is your wife?” I asked him while looking on the road we are driving.

“My wife is already dead too a long time ago, same as your father. I am a single father for my children and I did not search for someone to replace her. I missed my children so much, but I need to find money away from them. Got to sacrifice a lot just to see them stable on their own lives as long as I can offer something for them. But I am still keeping 500 Pesos each day for my self. You never know what will happen to our life, that’s why we need to be always prepared”. He was already teary eyed when he finished his sentence.

He is a father, and I am the son. There is something the same between us two, and that is we are both solely bread winners living and working far away from the family. He lost his wife and for my case, I have lost my father. I have seen his sacrifices in our short conversation, which somehow feel my worth much better. We are both hurt and scarred by our past, but continue to live amidst the trials that we are facing each day.

In life, the best lessons that we have to learn came from other people or strangers that we meet everyday. The driver taught me to be strong, not for myself but for my family. I know I am still young and there are lots of obstacles that I need to face on my journey thru life. But I am not living for myself, at least for now, but I am living to give my brothers and sister a better life. I am living to act as their father and as a helper to my Mom.

I arrived at the office on time. A one great conversation from a one great guy. Truly, a day to remember.

0 cups of coffee