Boy Meets World

Posted by

Many people perceive that working in a call center is easy. But less that they know, working as a call center agent requires a lot of sacrifices. Before I landed in our company, I thought that working in a BPO company is the answer for poverty and it is the easiest way to earn money. I thought I was right, but now, I found myself wrong. If there is other option for me aside from working in a call center industry, then I would gladly step out myself from this office.


Working as an agent will not give you stability and happiness towards your status in life, and that is from my own experience after working for nearly 2 years in this industry already. If not only for my family, I will not force myself working my ass so hard here. I’ve got a brother and a sister who are both in college so I need to find a work that I can have the best compensation in town.
The number one problem for being a call center agent is the shifting. We need to base our working schedule in the USA so that means that we will be awake for the entire night just to serve Americans in morning (American time). Nothing compares having a regular and normal sleep than sleeping during day time. It’s so hard to adjust our body thinking that almost all of our growing years we have been spending the night sleeping then in just a matter of a snap we will be sleeping by day. If we need to talk about vampires, then we are the complete representation of them. Also, it is so hard to make sleep during day just thinking about global warming.

Since I started working here, I also missed out some important and special occasions in my life. Although I already know that working in a call center requires giving up social life, still I misses those times that my presence, and I mean physically can be seen on parties and gatherings. Imagine yourself working Christmas and New years Eves inside the office while others are so happy outside enjoying the festivities of life. Just typing this rant makes my heart so uber sad.
Gone are the days when work makes me excite each day. I already achieved my expiration point especially that I am working a monotonous work all day round. Same work, same old faces and same place that I seem to already memorize every single details of it. Worst is, I can’t even practice my own dialect here and only God knows how much I missed talking in my own tongue. I can’t even have some good vacation since all of the actions here are based on numbers. In short, I don’t have a life anymore.

I’m planning to resign from the office but there are certain things I need to consider. First is that my siblings need me because they already nearing completion in their college courses. If I take my ass out of here, then what will be the outcome of their education? Especially that it is so hard to find a job in this current time. Taking a deeper look in the situation, I am still luckily that I was accepted here as a call center agent. Passing the exams is not easy and to think that I will need to undergo the same boring interviews all over again just to land a good decent job. If someone will ask me if it is fun to be a call center agent, then I will definitely not recommend him or her working as one. While growing up and living each day meeting the demands in life, there are things that we should consider aside from earning big bucks. We should also think of stability and happiness on everything that we do. For now, ill just wait for my brother and sister to graduate, after that, I don’t care if I will work as a janitor, as long as I am happy with it.

1 Comment

  1. hey hey hey, nice post! exactly what I felt when I had that "sucking" job a year ago, u shud be proud u took that toll for 2 years, ako 3 months lang, I never let that job miss my xmas and new year and though its double pay (plus bonus) I didn't grab it...AFter I resigned, I felt alive again and my weight came back normal, I have this new job now that pays more than that BPO company is paying me...i wish u well, and spread the word about how this job can take Normal Living away

    Posted on May 9, 2008 at 12:34 AM